Adelaide is the capital of the state of South Australia and is the fifth most populated city in the country and is known for its vibrancy!
It is a great place to start out a campervan holiday as this state shares borders with all the other mainland states. If you are arriving in Adelaide to pick up your campervan or motorhome rental, the following information should be useful to you.
Adelaide Motorhome Depot Locations
If you are arriving in Adelaide and plan on picking up your motorhome rental, do you know where to pick it up from?
The following companies do not provide transfers to or from the airport.
Maui / Mighty / Britz depots are located at 376 Sir Donald Bradman Dr, Adelaide, SA 5032
- Distance (approx.) to/from airport 1.1km from International Airport or 2.1km from Domestic Airport. Taxi Fare (approx.) $5 (AUD)
- Distance (approx.) to/from City 4.5km. Taxi Fare (approx.) $10 (AUD)
Apollo / Cheapa / Hippie and Star RV depots are located at 338 South Road, Croydon Park, Adelaide, SA, 5008.
- Distance (approx.) to/from Airport 11km. Taxi Fare (approx.) $28 (AUD)
- Distance (approx.) to/from City 11km. Taxi Fare (approx.) $26 (AUD)
Probably the easiest and most direct way to get to pick up your motorhome is to organise a taxi.
Once you’ve been to pick up your motorhome, you’ll most likely want to fill up your shelves and stock up on supplies. The closest stores to the following depots are as follows:
Maui / Mighty / Britz – there is a Woolworths just east of the branch on corner of Bagot Avenue and Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton (open 7 days). Or there is a Foodland just west of the branch 693 Burbridge, West Beach (open 7 days).
Apollo / Cheapa / Hippie and Star RV – you’ll find quite a few Woolworths in close proximity to this depot, you could either go a short distance east to Woolowrths Regency Shopping Plaza, 269 Main N Rd, Sefton Park, SA 5083 or you could go west a short distance to Woolworths Kilkenny, Arndale Central, 460 – 470 Torrens Road, Kilkenny, SA 5009.
Alternatively, if you fancy making your way back in the direction of the airport, there is a large shopping precinct called Harbour Town that has a Woolworths but also has a chemist and a multitude of fashion retailers too. The parking is also good for large vehicles. Address 727 Tapleys Hill Road, West Beach, SA 5024.
We don’t have affiliations with any accommodation providers in and around the area. However, for your convenience we have suggested a few examples of places you could check out.
InterContinental Adelaide – North Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000. Phone: +61 (08) 8238 2400
Comfort Inn Anzac – 626 Anzac Highway, Glenelg, SA 5045. Phone: +61 (08) 8294 1344
Seawall Apartments – 21-25 South Esplanade, Glenelg, SA 5045 (vehicular access via Oldham Street or Pier Street – NOT South Esplanade). Phone: +61 (08) 8120 2761
- Brighton Caravan Park – 4 Burnham Road, Kingston Park, SA 5049. Phone: +61 (08) 8377 0833
- Adelaide Caravan Park – 46 Richmond St, Hackney, SA 5069. Phone: +61 (08) 8363 1566
- Brownhill Creek Caravan Park – 60 Brown Hill Creek Road, Mitcham, SA 5062. Phone: +61 (08) 8271 4824
Driving around Adelaide
Driving around Adelaide is pretty straightforward. With the use of your sat nav, you will find it easy to navigate. There are no toll roads currently in Adelaide or South Australia for that fact, so you don’t have to worry about paying to use certain roads.
There are essentially 4 main roads that will take you out of Adelaide and it will depend on what your travel plans are.
- The A1 will take you north out of the city and from there you can follow the A1 along the south Australian coastline, heading west, along the Nullarbor (you can read more about that travel route here) eventually ending up in Perth. Alternatively, you can head north on the A87 off the A1 and that will take you up through the Red Centre (you can read about that travel route here) and finish up in Darwin!
- The A32 and the A20 will take you out towards NSW, you can choose if you want to tour more inland and head north on the A32 or head more directly east and take the A20 which is a more direct route to Sydney via Canberra
- The M1 south out of Adelaide will offer you a few options of routes if you are travelling to Melbourne, one of them being the Great Ocean Road, one that we highly recommend you doing. You can read more about this travel route here)
If you are planning to stay in Adelaide for a few days, either prior to picking up your motorhome rental in Adelaide or perhaps staying on for a few days after you have dropped your motorhome off, we have posted a blog of the Top 5 things to do in Adelaide.
If you are still looking for inspiration on travelling around Australia, then check out our Travel Routes page here. We have lots of useful travel tips and free downloadable information sheets to read at your leisure on our 12 amazing routes around Australia!
If you would like some advice on what the best vehicle for your needs would be, get in touch with us and we will happily work with you to find you the best motorhome solution for your travels.