Wow! What an adventure and eye opening experience. Driving through the stunning wine regions of South Australia and north to Australia’s iconic outback, marvelling at vast deserts and spectacular canyons, before travelling through World Heritage listed national parks to finish up their incredible journey in the lush and tropical Top End!
Here’s a video to show you the highlights of this fantastic trip and hopefully to whet your appetite. So settle yourself down, sit back and make yourself comfortable and soak up the vibrancy that this country has to offer!
- Our Gallivanters set off on their 4,900km journey starting in South Australia where they experienced some of the world’s finest wine regions and local cuisine.
As they headed north, passing through the ‘crossroads of Australia’ Port Augusta, on the Spencer Gulf, beside the magnificent Flinders Ranges and the former top secret nuclear power testing site Woomera, before they found themselves in the opal capital of the world at ‘quirky’ Coober Pedy. Here the locals have escaped the fierce heat of the day and live underground, which makes for an interesting insight into how this community live their life!
- From here they continued further into the remote outback to discover the jewel in the crown of this magnificent country, Uluru (Ayers Rock) to learn about this important Aboriginal sacred site, hear the ancient stories and experience the magic of the huge desert sun sets behind the world-famous sandstone icon.
- A little farther up the road is another of nature’s treasures, Kings Canyon. This majestic canyon, 440 million years in the making, rises 270 m above sea level and is at the heart of Australia’s Red Centre. Our Gallivanters got to explore this magnificent place and marvel at the landscape of Watarrka National Park.
- Next stop, Central Australia’s ‘big smoke’ Alice Springs, provided a great chance to learn all about Aboriginal culture – this small city is rich in art centres and museums! It is also home to the acclaimed Alice Springs Desert Park where the group explored the beautiful natural spaces and discovered the unique native animals, birds and plants that our found in the outback.
- Moving farther north into the Northern Territory, our Gallivanters watched the scenery transform before them; the dry Outback desert slowly melded into green bushscape as they travelled into the lush Top End. In a lovely introduction to the Top End, our weary travellers soothed away their aches in the natural hot thermal springs at Mataranka.
This area treated the group to two spectacular cruises. The first at Nitmiluk National Park on the Katherine River, setting out at dawn to soak in the rich changing colours and the awakening dawn chorus and the second spotting crocs and an astonishing diversity of birdlife on the Yellow Water Billabong in World Heritage listed Kakadu National Park – a very special experience that had been on many of our Gallivanters’ bucket lists!
- Reaching high up into the north east of Kakadu National Park, our Gallivanters reached Jabiru and nearby Ubirr, with some of the very best examples of Aboriginal rock art, stunning scenery and sweeping views out over the escarpment in the East Alligator Region of Kakadu National Park.
- To finish off their 21 days escorted motorhome tour, the group made their way to the Litchfield National Park with its lush woodlands, spectacular waterfalls, sparkling plunge pools and tall termite mounds – what a fabulous way to end to their adventure with Gallivanting Oz!
- A fun night was enjoying by all during the final group dinner – a wonderful chance to bid farewell to their new friends as everyone set off to the tropical capital of the Northern Territory, Darwin, to spend their last day exploring this popular waterfront city.
This tour really showed off the vibrancy and incredible contrast that Australia has to offer!
We love to inspire as much as we love exploring this country, so if you have been excited by this video and would like to find out more about our escorted motorhome tours in 2018, get in touch as we are just about to release next year’s schedule, and would love to hear from you!
If it’s got you excited about checking out some of these places by yourself – we’d love to help with that too! Check out our vehicle options and don’t forget our special offers and see if we can help you make that dream trip happen!