We provide the average number of litres of fuel consumed per 100km travelled for all of our rental campervans and motorhomes in Australia. This makes it easy to calculate the expected amount of fuel to be used for your trip. If you are unsure of the number of kilometres between destinations, you’re welcome to ask us, or you may find this driving matrix below useful:
The cost of fuel can be a little trickier to calculate, in our current market. At the time of writing, most main cities in Australia currently are charging around AU$1.50 per litre for petrol and diesel (similar price in Australia). It wasn’t long ago, that the remote areas of Australia were charging this type of price per litre for their fuel to cover the cost of transport. We’re always happy to share with our clients’ the current fuel prices when you head off on your adventure in a campervan or motorhome hire in Australia, as our current market does move significantly.
It’s not all doom and gloom with fuel costs however and there are a few tips to reduce fuel costs where possible:
- When shopping at major supermarkets in Australia and spending AU$30 or more, you’ll receive a discount voucher to use at their same brand of fuel station. Usually this discount is AU0.04 cents per litre. This is most useful when travelling in cities.
- Monitor your tyre pressure – with rental of campervans in Australia, the tyre pressure will be set correct at pick up, however as with any vehicle on a long trip, this should be checked regularly. Incorrect tyre pressure not only changes the wear on the tyres but also affects the amount of fuel consumption.
- Use smart driving techniques like gentle acceleration and braking and driving around 90km/h on the open highway – you’re on holiday after all!
- Fuel costs do rise substantially in remote areas. Where possible fill up in larger towns to reduce costs, even if you are filling up a half tank
- Depending on your travel route, there may be no choice but to fill up in remote areas. Please note that it is against the terms of rental campervans in Australia to carry petrol/diesel inside your campervan/motorhome in containers, as well as a safety risk.
- Some of our 4WD camper hires have the ability to carry extra fuel on the outside of the vehicle for long off road routes, as well as having large fuel tanks. It this is important, please let us know at time of enquiry
- While this is difficult with rentals of campervans in Australia, certain days of the week are definitely cheaper to fill up than others. Our current market sees the price per litre fluctuate by over AU0.10c per litre during the weekly cycle. At the time of writing, it appears that Fridays are the ‘cheap day’; where in the past ‘mid week’ is usually cheaper. If you are only driving small kilometres each day, it is definitely worth noting the ‘cheap day’ so save a little money.
We can provide you with more detailed information regarding campervan hire and your time in Australia, so feel free to get in touch with us through our contact page or our quote form. We look forward to speaking with you.