This is the first of our two Adelaide to Darwin tours this year. See tour #2 if these dates don’t suit. This tour shows off Australia’s incredible contrast. From picturesque wine regions and green valleys in the south to the vast deserts and spectacular canyons of the Red Centre including the iconic Uluru (Ayres Rock). Continue the adventure to the lush and tropical Top End and the World Heritage listed Kakadu National Park.
Discover the feeling of freedom as you take on the mighty ‘Explorer’s Highway’, leading you from one end of Australia to the other.
Enjoy world-famous wine regions, dig for opals in an underground town, see dry lakes made of salt, deserted telegraph stations and a former top-secret nuclear testing site in the middle of nowhere! Be blown away by monumental landscapes and breathtaking views. Experience the incredible isolation of endless red soil plains, remote cattle stations and the awe-inspiring desert night sky. Take in Australia’s unique wildlife and flora. Absorb the ancient Aboriginal culture. Bushwalk, soak in thermal springs, see ant hills taller than yourself, explore ancient cave systems, swim beneath a tropical waterfall, and sit around a crackling fire with new friends and share all of your stories!
- Starting in Adelaide meander through the picturesque Adelaide Hills and world renowned wine regions like the Barossa Valley, equally famed for its scenery and fine local cuisine
- Discover the characters who live underground and make their living from opal mining in quirky Coober Pedy
- Visit a kangaroo orphanage and see the spectacular Breakaways
- Cruise the open outback to mighty Uluru (Ayers Rock), watch the magic unfold with the changing colours of sunset and sunrise as they transform the iconic sandstone monolith and desert sky
- Nearby the towering red domes of Kata Tjuta will impress
- Experience magnificent sweeping views from the sandstone cliffs of majestic Kings Canyon before wandering down into shady palm-filled crevices
- At King’s Creek Station, visit a tiny Aboriginal community to learn about traditional medicine, try out dot painting and tuck into some bush tucker (incl)
- Drop in and visit the world’s largest open air classroom and the outback’s medical service, The Royal Flying Doctors (incl) while in Alice Springs
- We’ve also included the Alice Springs Desert Park (incl) where you’ll learn all about the plants, animals and habitats of Central Australia
- Spend a fun evening at the famous outback pub at Daly Waters with entertainment and a delicious beef ‘n barra dinner (incl)
- Soak in the natural thermal springs at Mataranka
- Enjoy a morning cruise up the famous Katherine Gorge (Nitmiluk) (incl)
- Take a magical dawn cruise at Yellow Water (incl), the most famous wetland in World Heritage listed Kakadu National Park, boasting abundant birdlife and big ‘salty’ crocs – a sight to remember! Aboriginal culture and rock art with a huge diversity of wildlife is all part of the Kakadu experience
- Lots of opportunity to check out the beautiful wetlands that will be teeming with birds at this time of year
- Enjoy dinner at the historic Mt Bundy Station around the camp fire
- Visit breathtaking Litchfield National Park with its range of walks, swimming spots and giant termite mounds
- We finish our tour in Darwin, former frontier outpost and now vibrant multi-cultural city which is steeped in WWII history (we suggest adding on an extra couple of days to see more of Darwin from a city hotel or keep your motorhome – must be pre-booked)
- To start and finish our amazing tours on a high, we include dinner on these night plus have regular group meals/happy hours along the way
Detailed travel notes, maps and driving instructions provided. While this is an escorted tour we encourage you to explore at your own pace during the day with the support of our tour escorts close at hand. You’ll love the camaraderie of our small group tours (max 8 motorhomes) with plenty of flexibility and inclusions, it’s no wonder we continually receive rave reviews. At Gallivanting Oz, we know it’s the small details that make all the difference.
What Our Customers Say
The independent but organised travel and group sharing and mixing with friendly guides made the trip very enjoyable. – Lindsay Marshall, June 2019 Adelaide to Darwin Escorted Tour
Our tour leaders worked hard to make the trip an enjoyable experience. Nothing was too much trouble. The inclusions meant there was very little else we needed to do. – Graeme and Claire Main, May 2019 Adelaide to Darwin Escorted Tour