Campervan hire in Australia and your Drivers Licence

October 21, 2013

Is a special driver’s licence required with Motorhome Hire in Australia?

We’re often asked if a special drivers licence is required when considering campervan or motorhome hire in Australia.

Driving in a Motorhome Hire in Australia is easy

Driving in a Motorhome Hire in Australia is easy

‘A current and full motor vehicle drivers licence is required and must be presented upon vehicle collection. Should a foreign licence be in a language other than English it must be accompanied by a current international driving permit issued in the same country as the drivers licence was issued. An accredited English translation will be accepted in lieu of an international driving permit.  The driver’s licence must have been held for at least two years and be valid for the whole length of the rental.  For the majority of our vehicles, drivers must be aged 21 years or older’

This means if you are hiring one of our larger four or six berth motorhomes with the cab over, you do not need a special driver’s licence – your regular car licence will be sufficient.

The four to six berth Motorhomes are easy to drive, even though they may seem big to you initially.

  • No special drivers licence is required when hiring the larger motorhome (ie you don’t need a truck licence)
  • They are equipped with good mirrors, and a number of our motorhomes for hire also have a reversing camera
  • The seating position has you higher up than a normal car which adds to your visibility
  • The larger four to six berth Motorhomes are larger than a regular car when it comes to parking.  You’ll find that it will be easier to park a little further away from a shopping centre entrance which eliminates the stress of negotiating tight corners.  You’ll also find some popular tourist locations provide specific motorhome parking area.
Campervan hire in Australia doesn't require a special drivers licence

Campervan hire in Australia doesn’t require a special drivers licence

An international licence is not required if your drivers licence is in English with any of our motorhome suppliers.

Everyone who is intending to drive the campervan hire in Australia will need to provide a valid and full drivers licence at the time of the collecting the motorhome.

The majority of our campervans for hire and all of our motorhome rentals will require drivers who are aged 21 or over.

If you hired a motorhome previously and are aged 75 years or older, you may have had to provide a medical certificate from your doctor stating you are fit and able to driver for the duration of the campervan hire.  At the time of writing, this requirement has been removed from our supplies, so this letter (medical certificate) is no longer required.

Let us know if you have any other questions concerning the drivers licence requirements when considering a campervan hire in Australia.  We are specialists in Camper Hire in Australia, and can answer any questions that you may have.

You may like an idea of costs and vehicle options for your planned route with a campervan hire in Australia – please let us know if you’d like a Camper Hire Quote.

Recent Posts

Getting in touch…

Speak to one of our friendly team about a motorhome hire or join us on one of our escorted motorhome tours. We look forward to chatting to you!