Planning to hire a campervan for a road trip up the spectacular Western Australia coastline to the Kimberley, the Pilbara or beyond? Travel between the months of March to October and you may be lucky enough to experience the breathtaking natural phenomenon known as the Staircase to the Moon!
What is the Staircase to the Moon?
Unique to Western Australia’s remote Pilbara and Kimberley regions, Staircase to the Moon is well worth planning your campervan hire holiday around! On two or three nights per month between March and October, the region’s famous giant tides coincide with the full moon. And as the rising moon reflects on to the exposed, rippled tidal flats on an extremely low tide, an optical illusion is created… a golden staircase appears to climb from the beach in front of you all the way up to the moon!
Where is the best place to see Staircase to the Moon?
It is possible to witness this incredible natural event at a number of places along the Pilbara and Kimberley coastline, which is accessible when you hire a campervan. Broome is the most famous Staircase to the Moon location…and also our favourite. (Scroll down for the reasons why). However, if you’d prefer to experience it in a quieter setting, point your camper towards of one of these equally fabulous locations!
- Sitting almost in the middle of Exmouth and Karratha is the tiny historic town of Onslow. With pristine beaches, and marine-life rich coral reefs and atols just off the coast, there’s plenty to keep you entertained. But what’s the best bit about watching the Staircase to the Moon here? You see it from the pub! The Onslow Beach Club offers uninterrupted panoramic views across the mudflats from the large deck. (PS: for the record, Onslow’s pretty Town Beach is an equally perfect viewing spot!)
Karratha and Dampier
- Located roughly 8 hours’ drive south of Broome, this major industrial port is surrounded with stunning natural attractions and important Indigenous sites. (Including some of the country’s best rock art.) You’ll need special permission or a 4WD camper to take the good quality unsealed road to Hearson’s Cove. This spot often produces the best Staircase to the Moon in the region. There is also an opportunity to join an Aboriginal tour with locally owned and run Ngurrangga Tours. The tour combines the Staircase to the Moon experience with Dreamtime stories and foraging for coastal bush tucker.
Point Sampson and Cossack
- What could be cooler than taking in the Staircase to the Moon in a bonefide ghost town? An hour east of Karratha, the historic buildings of little Cossack have been resorted to their former glory giving a glimpse into its 1870s heyday. Stroll down to Settlers Beach and lookout for your truly unique Staircase experience! If you prefer more facilities with your staircase, continue on to the small coastal settlement of Point Sampson. This former asbestos shipping port is now a low-key holiday destination offering white beaches, great fishing and a dedicated Staircase to the Moon viewing platform.
- It may be best known for its busy port and iron ore industry, but Port Hedland is also an excellent spot to experience the Staircase to the Moon! There is a dedicated Staircase to the Moon viewing deck conveniently located right beside the Point Hedland Holiday and Caravan Park on Goode Street. While you’re here, pop down to the Seafarers Centre and join one of their fascinating boat tours of the busy working harbour!
- Town Beach overlooking Roebuck Bay, is the location of the region’s most famous Staircase to the Moon event. It’s our favourite spot too!
The first two ‘staircase nights’ take on a festive feel with the colourful Moon Markets lining Town Beach Reserve, by the beach. Wander though colourful local stalls bursting with handicrafts, jewellery and art. Enjoy great live music and tasty multicultural cuisine which showcase the laid-back vibrancy for which this town is so loved.
When it’s time for the moon rise, grab a sundowner and kick back on the beach to watch the spectacular event unfold before you. Be sure to arrive early to get a good position! The sandy beachfront in front of the iconic Mangrove Hotel is a great spot. You’ll even sometimes be treated to some live didgeridoo tunes!
The closest caravan park to Town Beach is Discovery Parks Broome (formerly known as Roebuck Bay Caravan Park). From here, you can park up your hire campervan and stroll down to see Staircase to the Moon. Alternatively, if you choose to stay elsewhere, such as Broome’s famous Cable Beach, the Staircase to Moon events are well serviced by buses.
What are the 2022 dates for Staircase to the Moon?
- Sat, 19 March 2022 at 6:55 pm
- Sun, 20 March 2022 at 7:34 pm
- Mon, 21 March 2022 at 8:16 pm
- Sun, 17 April 2022 at 6:09 pm
- Mon, 18 April 2022 at 6:55 pm
- Tues, 19 April 2022 at 7:45 pm
- Tue, 17 May 2022 at 6:27 pm
- Wed, 18 May 2022 at 7:28 pm
- Thu, 19 May 2022 at 8:33 pm
- Wed, 15 June 2022 at 6:13 pm
- Thu, 16 June 2022at 7:21 pm
- Fri, 17 June at 8:29 pm
- Thu, 14 July 2022 at 6:07 pm
- Fri, 15 July 2022 at 7:15 pm
- Sat, 16 July 2022 at 8:19 pm
- Fri, 12 August 2022 at 5:58 pm
- Sat, 13 August 2022 at 7:01 pm
- Sun, 14 August 2022 at 8:00 pm
- Sun, 11 September at 6:40 pm
- Mon, 12 September at 7:36 pm
- Tue, 13 September at 8:30 pm
- Mon, 10 October 2022 at 6:17 pm
- Tue, 11 October 2022 at 7:11 pm
- Wed, 12 October 2022 at 8:06 pm
- The final Staircase to the Moon for 2022 occurs in November, however we don’t recommend visiting at this time of year, due to the extremely high temperatures (usually upward of 40C).
When should l hire a campervan for my 2022 Staircase to the Moon?
Now you have the dates, you can start planning. If you’d like to save time and get some top tips, have a quick chat with our knowledgeable travel team. We can give you lots of suggestions for routes, attractions and timelines to get you started.
Once your preferred dates and route has been established, we can work with you to find the ideal 2WD or 4WD motorhome for your specific adventure! We can even hold your favourite vehicle for you, while you check on flights and/or campsite availability.
Our top tip? Start planning early.
This is a very popular time to visit Broome! If the Staircase to the Moon is on the bucket list for your big Kimberly campervan adventure, please don’t leave it to the last minute! Regardless of whether you hire your motorhome from Perth or fly direct to Broome, motorhomes – campsites book up early! And don’t forget, the earlier you book, the better the rates and the choice of motorhomes!
P.S. This has never been truer than right now with our ‘unique’ current travel circumstances! Us holiday-lovin’ Aussies are hiring motorhomes and hitting the road in record numbers! But fear not, we’re still seeing some great deals for 2022, especially if you’re able to travel outside of peak times!
Why is it important to hire my campervan through Gallivanting Oz?
When you deal with Gallivanting Oz, you can be confident of the best prices, the best service, and the best range of motorhome hire vehicles. We’re a family-owned business and our primary focus is service excellence. We take care of you from the first contact with our friendly team, to the time you hand back your keys after your perfect campervanning adventure!
Look forward to hearing form you soon. Don’t delay in getting your enquiry over! It will be our privilege and pleasure to make your dream motorhome holiday to Broome and beyond a reality.