Brisbane being the capital of Queensland is a great starting point for any adventure around this beautiful country! If you happen to be landing in Brisbane and picking up your motorhome rental in Brisbane, then you might be interested in the following useful information.
Brisbane Motorhome Depot Locations
First things first, you’ve landed in Brisbane and you need to get to the depot to pick up your motorhome, how do you get there?
These following companies do not offer transfers from the airport. There are options of taking a train out of the airport and then hopping on a bus either to Northgate or Eagle Farm. You can check out train and bus timetables and journey planners here.
Probably the easiest and most direct way to get to pick up your motorhome is to organise a taxi.
- Apollo / Cheapa / Hippie and Star RV depots are located at 733A Nudgee Road, Northgate, QLD 4013
- Maui / Britz depots are located at 21 Industry Court, Eagle Farm, QLD, 4009
Distance (approx) from airport 6km / City 12.5km
Taxi Fare (approx) from airport $25 (AUD) / City $35 (AUD)
Once you’ve picked up your motorhome and are keen to set off, you’ll most likely want to stock up on supplies. The closest stores to the depots are as follows:
- Apollo / Cheapa / Hippie and Star RV – 2.5km trip to Westfield ‘Shoppingtown’, Sandgate Road, Toombul
- Maui / Britz – 3.5km trip to Coles / Woolworths on Racecourse Road, Ascot
However, if you fancy making your way back in the direction of the airport, there is a large shopping precinct with a Woolworths, Dan Murphys and other large specialty shops. The parking is also good for large vehicles. Address 11 The Circuit, Brisbane Airport, QLD, 4008. Open 24 hours.
We don’t have affiliations with any hotels, motels or campgrounds in and around the area so we have provided a couple of examples of what we believe to be the most popular locations you could stay at.
- Northgate Airport Motel – 186 Toombul Road, Northgate. Phone: +61 7 3256 7222
- Pegasus Motor Inn & Serviced Apartments – 71 Nudgee Road, Hamilton. Phone: +61 7 3868 1900
- Domain Serviced Apartments – 110 Racecourse Road, Ascot. Phone +61 7 3630 1001
We do suggest that a great location for accommodation is along the Kingsford Smith Drive and Racecourse Road around the areas of Eagle Farm and Portside Wharf. This suburb has lots of accommodation to offer and is located near the Portside which has heaps of places to eat and the ferry terminal which offers easy access to and from the City.
- Top Tourist Park – Brisbane Holiday Village, 10 Holmead Road, Eight Mile Plains, Brisbane, 4113. Phone: 07 3341 6133 – brisbaneholidayvillage.com.au
- Brisbane Gateway Resort – 200 School Road, Rochedale Qld 4123. 15-20 mins drive south. Freecall Reservations 1800 442 444 – brisbanegateway.com.au
- Newmarket Gardens Caravan park – 199 Ashgrove Avenue, Ashgrove Queensland 4060. Phone (07) 3356 1458 – newmarketgardens.com.au
Driving around Brisbane
Driving around Brisbane is fairly easy. Regardless of which depot you pick up your motorhome from, the nearest highway is the Southern Cross Way which is the best route for traveling north/south as you’ll get access onto the M1 (Gateway Motorway – Toll Road).
The best highways to pick up of you are looking to travel east/west (into the city from the depots) are:
- Route 25 Kingsford Smith Drive (easy access from Eagle Farm) and is easily picked up from Maui / Britz depots
- or you can pick up the M7 Airport Link Drive (Toll Road) and is easily picked up from Apollo / Cheapa / Hippie and Star RV depots
Toll Roads around Brisbane
There are some Toll Roads around Brisbane which are all clearly signed. You don’t have to worry about paying the tolls immediately as you are given up to 3 days to pay your toll. You can set up your pass online before travel or up to 3 days after and can do this online at Go Via website.
- covers all Queensland toll roads
- no need for a tag
- travel is charged to your nominated credit card every 7 days
- set up prior to travel or up to 3 days after travel
- only one vehicle can be linked to your pass
- video matching fee applies per toll point, in addition to your toll
- statements available online for up to 30 days after the expiry of your pass
If you are planning to stay in Brisbane for a few days either prior to picking up your motorhome rental in Brisbane or perhaps staying on for a few days after you have dropped your motorhome off, we have created a city highlights guide of the Top 5 things to do in Brisbane. You can download that free PDF document here.
If you are unsure on what vehicle options are available and would like some advice on what the best vehicle for your needs would be, get in touch with us and we will happily work with you to find you the best motorhome solution for your travels!
If you’ve already booked your campervan or motorhome but haven’t yet decided on where your travels are going to take you, check out our Travel Routes. We have 12 amazing routes around Australia offering lots of useful travel tips and free downloadable information sheets to read at your leisure.