We often get asked ‘what is the best vehicle for me to explore Australia when thinking about campervan hiring?’ The answer is not as simple as you might think. There are a variety of factors to consider, however one of the most important factors is the vehicle size of the campervan hiring.
Sometimes the campervan hiring is determined by the number of people travelling, however often it is a couple travelling. Unless limited by the number of people travelling, the perfect vehicle really comes down to drivability vs space vs cost vs personal taste/features
- For some couples they prefer something smaller as they have only ever driven a car before. Even though all the motor homes are pretty easy to drive, for some the idea can be daunting.
- The smaller vehicles also tend to use a little less fuel, so this can also be a factor for some considering campervan hiring.
- Alternatively, if you’re planning on getting off the beaten track onto unsealed roads, a 4wd camper may be required. For those planning on only travelling on unsealed roads and not 4wd tracks, we do have a Hi Top Camper that allows unlimited distances to be travelled.
- The 2wd vehicles can generally only travel on well-maintained unsealed roads to recognised campgrounds up to 12 km.
- The popular two berth with toilet and shower has a large double bed at the rear of the vehicle which doubles as the living/seating area during the day.
- For couples who prefer a little more space, they look at a four or six berth vehicle. The four berth vehicles vary in their layout and size, and give the benefit of having two beds – one is above the cab and the other is made up out of a seating area in the main cabin. If you prefer not to sleep above the cab because of mobility or personal reasons, then it is important to consider the best four berth layout.
- They do vary, and you may prefer looking at a four berth which still provides a seating area if you wish to keep the bed in the living area made up during the day. The bed in the living area is also smaller in some of the four berth vehicles.
- An alternative is to look at a six berth vehicle if you are planning on sleeping in the main cabin, which will provide you with the extra seating area, or a different layout that may suit your needs.
- For travellers taking a fair amount of luggage, they’d consider a vehicle that has good storage options. They do vary, between the different sized and layouts of vehicles with campervan hiring.
Personal Taste and Features
Toilet and Shower
- Only our 2WD camper/motorhome range has an on board toilet and shower.
- Some of our four and six berth motor homes have a larger bathroom than is the norm for hire vehicles. Generally the shower is in the same space as the toilet, with a pull down hand basin. The vehicles with the larger bathroom have the shower in a separate ‘space’ within the same room which means the toilet doesn’t get wet when you shower. All are little things, but for some couples these little things can become important once they are on the road.
- The kitchens also vary a little between the campervan hiring. Pretty much all the 2WD range have a microwave which works when your vehicle is plugged into 240 volts.
- A gas cooktop is also provided which can also be used when freedom camping. Some vehicles also have an oven and/or grill
Superior Fixtures and Fittings
- Some travellers prefer absolute comfort with all the bells and whistles – we have our luxury range of motorhomes which really are like an apartment on wheels. Complete with water filter (for drinking water), electric awning and many extra’s you’d find in an apartment, perfect for those who enjoy the finer things in like. Others prefer a vehicle which offers comfort at an affordable price.
- Choosing the right vehicle is sometimes determined by budget. The two berth vehicles with an on board toilet and shower will be cheaper to hire than an equivalent level of luxury in the four berth range.
- 4WD’s are generally more expensive than a 2WD (2 berth) vehicle to hire, depending on the time of year travelling. Consider whether you will need to travel off road – it is possible to travel all the way around Australia on a sealed road. For some having this flexibility is important.
- The time of year that you are travelling great affects the price of hire vehicles. Depending on the style of vehicle you are thinking of hiring, generally May/June is the cheapest time to hire a vehicle. For those travelling on a budget, if this time frame suits your plans it can mean you could travel for longer or take a larger motorhome than travelling in peak times.
You can see there is a lot to think about when it comes to having a perfect vehicle for campervan hiring for your holiday. When you’re ready for more specific information to assist your decision making, we look forward to speaking with you.
We look forward to speaking to you further if you are interested in a Motorhome Adventure in Australia – fill in our easy to use quote form for campervan hire to get information on costs for your specific travel dates, or you are welcome to send us an email or give us a phone call.