Campervan Holiday Travel Tips

campervan holiday travel tips

Helpful Campervan Holiday Travel Tips & Information

We answer some commonly asked questions here, however feel free to send us an email, contact form via our website or give us a call if your question is not answered below.

Here is the Campervan Holiday Travel Tips & Useful Links

These links may assist with your holiday planning:

School Holidays in Australia – Check ‘School Term Dates’ when the school holidays are in each state to assist with your holiday planning

Exchange Rate Calculator – This useful calculator will assist to convert Australian Dollar prices to your local currency

Australian Automobile Associations (AAA) Road Safety for Overseas Visitors and Road Users Hand books – Lots of useful information for overseas visitors driving in Australia can be found in these documents

Current weather conditions in Australia & General information – Australian weather and the seasons – The weather can play a huge part when travelling in Australia – check these links to assist with your holiday planning

Australian Events Calendar – You might like to plan your holiday around one or two popular events or festivals while travelling in Australia

Time Zone Converter & Time Zones and Daylight Savings in Australia – Within Australia there are different time zones, and some states have daylight savings.

Travel Tips

Driving in Australia

Australia is a large country!

Please refer to the travel distances between our main cities to assist with your holiday planning. There can be quite large distances to travel between major tourist destinations, which are part of the experience. Some roads allow for larger distances to be travelled in a day, however ensure you plan enough time to experience what Australia has to offer.

Safe Driving In Australia

When driving in Australia, you must always drive on the left hand side of the road, obey all traffic signals and signs, and wear a seatbelt whilst in a vehicle. The driver must have their licence with them at all times when driving. It is recommended that familiarise yourself with the Australian road rules before driving in Australia to ensure you have a safe and trouble free holiday. (*Please note you will be charged for any traffic infrigement, speeding or parking fines or road toll fines that you incur.)

Buying Alcohol in the Northern Terriotry

On 1 September 2017, a Banned Drinkers Register began operation in the NT, in an effort to restrict access to alcohol for problem drinkers and make local communities safer.  What does this mean for you? When buying takeaway alcohol, you will be required to produce approved photo ID (primarily a drivers licence or passport) which will be scanned, triggering either a green or red light to indicate to the trader whether they may sell you alcohol.  No personal details are retained.  If you would like any furth er information on this, jump online and check out at

Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find answers to some frequently asked questions. Contact us if you require any other information

Do I need a special drivers licence?
A valid, current car driver’s licence must be produced for everyone intending to drive a rental vehicle. State, overseas or international licences are acceptable. However, the licence must be in English characters for staff to read. There are no special drivers licence requirements to drive the larger motorhomes.
What is the Cost of Fuel?
Petrol (Gasoline) in Australia comes in unleaded and leaded grades, and is sold by the litre. Petrol and diesel fuel costs between $1.25 AUD and $1.70 AUD per litre and can be higher, particularly in country and remote outback areas.
Where can I drive my rented campervan and motorhome?
Two Wheel Drive Vehicles can only be driven on sealed/bitumen roads. The only exception to this is small distances on loose road surface to recognised campground access roads. Each of our suppliers have slightly different distances that may be driven, so please refer to terms and conditions of specific vehicle for more information.Four Wheel Drive Vehicles can also be driven on recognised unsealed tracks, but some remote areas are restricted as specified in our Terms and Conditions. Most suppliers also occasionally restricts vehicle movements in certain areas due to adverse road or weather conditions.
Where do we camp at night?

Commercial Campgrounds

Australia has an extensive network of caravan parks in all major tourist centres and most towns. Caravan parks offer excellent recreational opportunities, plus showers, toilets and usually many other facilities, like laundry facilities. Powered sites enable you to connect your vehicle to electricity. There is usually no need to book ahead, although this could be wise in peak periods in popular destinations. The approximate cost is AU$25-45 per night.

National Parks

Most national parks have areas set aside for camping. There are often showers, toilets, barbecues and picnic areas. National parks are also beautiful and peaceful locations to stay overnight. National parks do not usually offer powered sites.

Freedom Camping

Council laws prohibit camping on the side of the road near towns and cities. However, outside towns and in country areas it is generally permitted.
For further information check our freedom camping information. For selected confirmed bookings of vehicle hire for 21 days or more, Gallivanting Oz may provide you with a Camps Australia Wide Guide for free. This book is an excellent resource complete with maps, shows you where you are allowed to freedom camp. There is also plenty of information on the facilities provided at each camp. This book comes for free with Maui, KEA and Star RV bookings, along with selected other brands depending on current specials at the time of booking. At certain times the special promotional offer, provide excellent discounts which means we do not have the capability to offer the Camps Australia Wide Guide for free. Please enquire prior to making your confirmed booking if you require any clarification on this.

How long does the battery system last?

The battery system will provide power for between 12 – 20 hours when fully charged depending on use.Most of our vehicles operate on ancillary battery systems which power internal appliances such as the fridge, lights and water pump.The batteries only recharge when you drive the vehicle or when connected to mains power. Idling the engine won’t provide enough power to recharge the house battery. When you are connected, all equipment automatically runs on mains power rather than the battery. Appliances such as the television, microwave, rear air-conditioning and power points only run on mains power.

It is possible to comfortably stay away from powered sites for the majority of the vehicles, especially if you are driving reasonable distances each day. Cooking is on gas stoves, and the vans are fitted with 12V lights, from the house battery. It is important if staying in a freedom camp with no facilities that you leave no trace on the environment to ensure the area remains beautiful.

Do I need to pay Road Tolls?

Road toll fees apply on some roads in Australia. You will likely encounter toll roads if you are driving through metropolitan New South Wales, Queensland and Victoria. You will be responsible for paying road toll fees incurred during your hire. It is important to be aware of these roads before you travel as toll roads in Australia are electronically tolled, you will not be able to stop and pay cash. You will need to set up a visitors e-pass upon vehicle collection, or take a toll package as offered by some suppliers. Failure to do this will result in an administration fee being charged, along with the fee owing for the toll charge.

Read More Campervan Holiday Travel Tips